Real Funny Dumb Laws in the United States
Below is a list of real funny, silly, stupid, and dumb laws in the United States
- In some states, including California, Florida, Nevada, Alaska and Hawaii a motorist can be cited for driving too slowly. Link
- In counties having populations of not less than 56,500 nor more than 59,000, according to the 1970 or any subsequent federal decennial census, domino games shall be lawful in billiard rooms or other rooms in which billiard tables are located. Source: Alabama Criminal Code Section 34-6-12 Link
- A United States Federal law states one can be fine upto $1,000,000 for pertaking in the act of Genocide. Source: US Code TITLE 18 > PART I > CHAPTER 50A > § 1091 Link
- A United States federal law makes it illegal to issue a fake Weather Bureau forecast. Source: 18 U.S.C. § 2074) Link
- State code allows only 5 minutes for one to vote. Source: Section 17-9-13 of Alabama Code Link
- Arkansas drive-in aren't very convenient thanks to this law... No person shall drive a motor vehicle onto the premises of a drive-in restaurant and leave the premises without parking such motor vehicle, unless there is no unoccupied parking space available on the premises. Source: Code 1961, §§ 25-156–25-158
- Sec. 18-54. Sounding of horns at sandwich shops. No person shall sound the horn on a vehicle at any place where cold drinks or sandwiches are served after 9:00 p.m. Source: Code 1961, § 25-74
- In Los Angeles, It is not legal to bathe two babies at the same time in the same tub.
- In Riverside, Kissing on the lips, unless both parties wipe their lips with carbonized rose water, is against the local health ordinance.
- In Walnut, No person shall wear a mask or disguise on a public street without a permit from the sheriff. Source: 17-32 Mask or disguise--Wearing.
- In Walnut, It shall be unlawful for any person to fly, above an altitude of ten feet above the ground, or near any electrical conductive public utility wires or facilities, any kite or balloon which has a body or any parts, tail, string or ribbon Source: 17-1 Kite flying restricted
- According to a law in China, you must be intelligent to go to college. Guess the guy who wrote this did NOT go to college.
- Colorado Water laws prohibit the use of rain barrels or any methods to catch rain for use. They claim the rain has already been legally allocated to the state and individual may not capture and use water to which he/she does not have a right.
New Laws passed in June 2009 eradicate this law. Link
- No hanky panky allowed in Connecticut..
A person who commits any unnatural and lascivious act with another person commits a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. It is illegal for unmarried couples to commit lewd acts and live together Source: 775.082 or s. 775.083
- A state law requires that a man's female companion shall call him "master" while out on a date. The law does not apply to married couples.
- In Zion, It is illegal for anyone to give cats, dogs, or other domesticated animals a lighted cigar.
- In Indianapolis, No horse shall be driven or ridden on any street in the city at a speed in excess of ten (10) miles per hour. Source: Code 1975, § 29-5 Link
- In Ottumwa, It is illegal for any man, within the corporate city limits, to wink at any female with whom he is "unacquainted."
- In Topeka, Servers are forbidden to serve wine in teacups.
- A female shall not appear in a bathing suit on any highway within this state. section 1376m-1, 1376m-2 Repealed: January 1, 1975
- In Mansfield, Anyone caught wearing sagging pants that expose underwear will be subject to a fine of up to $150 plus court costs – or face up to 15 days in jail. A court later overturned the law, declaring it unconstitutional.
- In New Orleans, Fire Code outlaws the cursing of firefighters while they are in the performance of thier duties. Source: Sec. 74-2 Link
- In Baltimore, It is illegal to take a lion to the movies.
- Many municipalities in Minnesota (including Anoka County) still have a Vagrancy law on the books that makes it misdemeanor for a person, with ability to work, who is without lawful means of support, and does not seek employment, and is not under 18 years of age. Link
- A state law prohibits the seduction of a female over the age of eighteen by promised or pretended marriage. Source: § 97-29-55. Codes, 1892, § 1298;
- It is not legal for a tavern owner to serve beer unless a nice kettle of soup is also brewing.
- In Reno, It is unlawful for any person to carry on, conduct or maintain any marathon dancing or marathon walking Source: Code 1966, § 11.12.130
- In Bergen County, Blue laws still in effect. The only retail outlets permitted to be open on Sundays are grocery stores and liquor stores. Link
- It is against the law to throw a ball at someone's head for fun.
- A license must be purchased before hanging clothes on a clothesline.
- A fine of $25 can be levied for flirting. This old law specifically prohibits men from turning around on any city street and looking "at a woman in that way." A second conviction for a crime of this magnitude calls for the violating male to be forced to wear a "pair of horse-blinders" wherever and whenever he goes outside for a stroll.
- In Carmel, A man cannot be seen in public while wearing a jacket and pants that do not match.
- In Greene, During a concert, it is illegal to eat peanuts and walk backwards on the sidewalks.
- In Ocean City, It is illegal to eat in the street in residential neighborhoods, and the only beverage you can drink on the beach is water in a clear plastic bottle.
- In Ocean City, It is illegal for men to go topless in the center of town.
- In Staten Island, You may only water your lawn if the hose is held in your hand.
- In Staten Island, It is illegal for a father to call his son a "faggot" or "queer" in an effort to curb "girlie behavior."
New York City
- You may not smoke within 100 feet of the entrance to a public building.
- Women may go topless in public, providing it is not being used as a business.
- It is illegal to have permit dancing in an establishment that sells food without a cabaret license. Link
- It is illegal for a woman to be on the street wearing "body hugging clothing."
- Citizens may not greet each other by "putting one's thumb to the nose and wiggling the fingers".
- It is illegal to hold more than two sessions of bingo per week, and those sessions may not exceed 5 hours each session. Source: § 14-309.8. Link
- In Oxford, It is unlawful for a woman to appear in public while unshaven. This includes legs and face.
- In Youngstown, You may not run out of gas. Source: Youngstown City Ordinances, Section 331.44 Link
- It Is Illegal To Have A sleeping Donkey In Your Bathtub After 7pm
- There's no place for fun...
It is unlawful for a minor under the age of eighteen to play a pinball machine. Source: 20-7-8915
- It is unlawful for any person to import, possess, or cause to be imported into this state any type of live skunk, or to sell, barter, exchange or otherwise transfer any live skunk, except that the prohibitions of this section shall not apply to bona fide zoological parks and research institutions. Source: 70-4-208. Unlawful importation of skunks - Penalty.
- You must beleive in god to be elected into office. You also are not permitted into office if you were in contendant in a duel. Source: Tennessee Constitution - Article IX Link
- In Montpelier, No law was violated when 42 cyclists rode through Vermont's capital naked on May 14, 2009.
The Barre-Montpelier Times Argus reported that Vermont has no ban on public nudity. Disrobing in public is a crime, but the cyclists disrobed before venturing out and would not be charged. Source: http://www.wptz.com/news/19749434/detail.html
- If any person arrived at the age of discretion profanely curse or swear or get drunk in public, he shall be fined by a justice one dollar for each offense Source: §61-8-15. Profane swearing and drunkenness; penalty.
- It is illegal to taunt someone for not accepting a challenge for a duel. Actual: If any person post another, or in writing or in print use any reproachful or contemptuous language to or concerning another, for not fighting a duel, or for not sending or accepting a challenge, he shall be guilty of a misdemeanor, and, upon conviction, shall be confined in jail not more than six months, or fined not exceeding one hundred dollars. Source: §61-2-24. Taunting for nonparticipation in duel; penalty.
- State code deems it unlawful for any person to have in his possession or to display any red or black flag. Source: West Virginia Code 61-1-6 Link
- The serving of colored oleomargarine or margarine at a public eating place as a substitute for table butter is prohibited unless it is ordered by the customer. Source: 97.18(4)
- In Sun Prairie, No rider of a bicycle shall remove both hands from the handlebars or practice any trick or fancy riding in any street in the city nor shall any bicycle rider carry or ride any other person so that two persons are on the bicycle at one time, unless a seat is provided for a second person. Source: Section 10.32.020 Manner of operation restricted.
- In Wauwatosa, No person shall spit... upon the floor or stairways of any public hall or building or upon the floor ...or upon any sidewalk abutting on any public street or alley of said city.